Peter Van der Auweraert
Peter Van der Auweraert works as Head of the Reparations and Land Unit at the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in Geneva, Switzerland. He has worked on land and transitional justice issues in, amongst other countries, Burundi, Colombia, East-Timor and Iraq. Currently, he is engaged in a United Nations sponsored peace mediation effort on land issues in Kirkuk, Iraq. Prior to his current post, Peter Van der Auweraert was Executive Director of Avocats Sans Frontières, an international NGO working on access to justice issues in post-conflict and transitional countries in Africa, the Middle East and South-East Asia. From 1999-2006, he also held a Visiting Lectureship in International Criminal and Public Law at the University of Turku in Finland. Peter Van der Auweraert earned an LLM in International Law from the University of London (United Kingdom) and a first degree in law from the University of Antwerp (Belgium). He is currently working on a handbook on integrating and managing land issues in peace negotiations for the US Institute of Peace.
- “Institutional Aspects of Resolving Land Disputes in Post-Conflict Societies: Some Reflections”, in Jon Unruh and Rhodri Williams (eds.), Land and Post-Conflict Peacebuilding (Earthscan, London, forthcoming spring 2011)
- “Making Victims’ Reparations Real: the Funding Challenge”, asfNews, Fall 2010, 9-10
- “Pre-Trial Detention, The Rule of Law and the Fight Against Impunity in the Democratic Republic of Congo: Time to Change Strategy? ”, Trial, June 8, 2010
- “Iraq Updates its Approach to Former Regime-Related Land and Property Claims”, Terra Nullius, March 2010
- Estudio Comparado de Programas de Reparción Administrative a Gran Escala (OIM, Bogota, 2010 (Principal Author)
- “Land and Property Issues in Iraq: Present Challenges and Future Solutions”, in The Brookings Institution – University of Bern Project on Internal Displacement, Resolving Iraqi Displacement: Humanitarian and Development Perspectives (Washington DC, Brookings Institution, 2009), 27-39
- Land, Property and the Challenge of Return for Iraqi’s Displaced, US Institute of Peace Special Report, April 2009 (with Deborah Isser)
- “Policy Challenges for Property Restitution in Transition. The Example of Iraq”, in Carla Ferstman, Mariana Goetz and Alan Stephens (ed.), Reparations for Victims of Genocide, War Crimes and Crimes against Humanity. Systems in Place and Systems in the Making (Brill, The Hague, 2009), 459-483
- “The Quest for Solutions to Timor-Leste’s Land and Property Issues”, in Migration, July 2008, 28-30
- “Los desafíos de la reparación a gran escala”, Hechos del Callejón, Noviembre 2006, 14-16 (with Norbert Wühler)
- “The Practicalities of Forced Labour Compensation. The Work of the International Organization for Migration as one of the Partner Organizations under the German Foundation Law”, in Peer Zumbansen (Ed), Zwangsarbeit im Dritten Reich: Erinnerung und Verantwortung / NS-Forced Labor: Remembrance and Responsibility. Untertitel: Juristische und zeithistorische Betrachtungen / Legal and Historical Observations, Baden-Baden, Nomos, 2002, 301-318
- “Holocaust Reparation Claims Fifty Years After: The Swiss Banks Litigation”, 71 Nordic Journal of International Law, 2002, 557-583
- Social, Economic and Cultural Rights. An Appraisal of Current European and International Developments (co-editor), Maklu, Antwerpen-Apeldoorn, 2002.